Projects - Community and Documentation Library, St. Moritz

Community and Documentation Library

Location: St. Moritz     Year: 1997

The old schoolhouse was built in 1886 by Nicolaus Hartmann Sr. in the Neo-Renaissance style and enlarged in 1909 in the Early Baroque style. The imposing structure strongly and emphatically dominates the Plazza da Scuola. It was a welcome stroke of luck when the opportunity arose to integrate the new community and documentation library into this building.

The natural lighting that is very important for a library is strongly mediated by the special new windows. Its restrained and understated etched lettering is intended to draw attention to the library, inviting passersby to approach the building. The texts were selected judiciously by Iso Camartin, a writer who comes from Grisons and now lives in Zurich.
 

To the next project back to top ↑